Next Scheduled taste test...TBD

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Banana Bread Beer. Who woulda thought? Or better yet, who wouldn't have thought? I was never one for flavored beers (fruity, flowery, spice-laden or such), but this one has caught my attention and palate. I know it's not new to the market, but its my pick and flavor of the month (after my initial skepticism).


The Brit Brewing Business of over 100 years, Well's & Young, got this one spot on (as with many of their ales). Come to find out this beer has won a number of accolades including "Beer of the Festival" at Britain's Great CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) Festival in 2002.

Well, I finally decided to try this beer after seeing it on the menu at a local hot spot pub in the Rice Village area: http://houston.gingermanpub.com/. I had heard of it before, and seen it in the beer section of my local supermarket, but could never bring myself to buy the entire 4-pack. Yes, you heard right, does not come in a 6-pack, only available in a 4-pack.

For the time being, I will use the Beer Advocate's Rating Guide:

  • Taste: Subtle banana flavor. Not overpowering. (What I liked the most about it). Crisp & refreshing. Slight and well-balanced lingering taste with a dry finish. Not very hoppy. Subtle hints of spice. Not too sugary.

  • Smell: Definitely banana with a bit of nut.

  • Look: Amber, very clear with light to moderate head.

  • Drinkability: I definitely could have had more than 1. (The litmus test for a truly drinkable and refreshing specialty beer).
Because of its subtle banana flavor, it makes for an excellent drinkable beer. I enjoyed this beer poured from the bottle, served not too cold in a pint glass. I reminisced of the taste a few days later, provoking me to go out to the store and pick up a refreshing 4-pack. That's one way to tell you like a beer! Available at Spec's Liquor . If you are lucky you may even be able to find this beer on draught at your local English pub around the Fall season.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Banana Bread Beer...you guys have sold me and now I have to try it!

    -charles

    ReplyDelete